The Item Editor is the main interface to view and edit object properties. It is a common control embedded in most panels, including diagrams and tables.
The Item Editor is composed of three parts:
- A header, showing the Icon of the object, its type, its name and a description.
- The object properties.
In the example shown in the picture above, we have the following values for the header:
- The icon shows a piece of a puzzle, which is the standard icon for Processes.
- The type is Process.
- The name is “Process 1”.
- The description is blank.
The properties include:
- Information about the object, like the unique ID of the object, the containing Threat Model and for Entities and Trust Boundaries, the eventual container, which would be a Trust Boundary containing the current object.
- Additional properties, grouped by the containing Property Schema: in the example, you can see both the Associated Diagram and the list of Threat Events.
Your Item Editor may look different: if your Threat Model includes additional metadata, then it may be visible here. The Execution Mode may also cause some information to be hidden: for example, the Information group shows the ID and the Threat Model name only if the Execution Mode is Pioneer or Expert. Moreover, in Management and Business Modes, the Item Editor becomes read-only for most objects, therefore you will not be able to see the buttons to Add, Remove, or Clear items from the Threat Event list.
The Item Editor allows to change the icon for Entities: if you double click the related icon, the Icon Selector dialog is shown. To change the icon, you simply have to double click on the desired size and choose a picture to load in PNG, JPG or SVG format. If no picture has been selected for any other size, it will be replaced with the new one.
The Item Editor allows also to open text in a dedicated dialog window, the Text Editor, which allows to zoom the text and make it more legible, and also to perform some spell check. It is available clicking on the label of text fields: for example, the Description field in the Item editor allows to open the Text Editor.
Tips & Tricks
The position of the Text Editor, its size and the selected zoom are maintained by the Threats Manager Platform: this means that every time you open it again, your preferences will be remembered and applied. They will not be persisted, though, therefore after you close Threats Manager Platform they are lost.